Sunday, August 18, 2013

September Tours of Former Millionaires' Row


A while ago I was approached by Sidetour--a group that promotes unique means of exploring the city.  Called "experiences" rather than tours, these are not your run-of-the-mill walking tours.   Tours include Greenwich Village hauntings, Brooklyn jazz and dinner, and wine tastings.

I was hooked.  In September I'll be hosting two tours, on Saturday and Sunday the 21st and 22nd.   We will be talking through the Fifth Avenue area of Midtown that was once the most exclusive residential neighborhood of Manhattan--lined with the mansions of the Vanderbilts and Rockefellers.

Tourists and New Yorkers alike rush along the Avenue and its side blocks never noticing that many of the mansions still exist--many astonishingly unchanged.  I am excited to have the opportunity to point out the grand homes and talk about the people who built and lived in them; and what happened in the neighborhood that caused the millionaires to abandon the costly residences.

The lavish Philip Lehman mansion is among the surviving houses on the agenda.
The link to Sidetours is below.  I would love the opportunity to meet any of my readers who have some free time on either day!

 http://sdtr.co/13DDP5K

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your first(?) tour, Tom. I only wish I was going to be in New York to attend them myself. I'm sure they will be a great success. May they be the first of many such 'experiences'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim! Yes, it is my first. Next time you're in the States it's your turn!

      Delete